Our little ones

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, June 8, 2007

Oh fun.

Our AC is acting up again.
Sigh.

This is the brand new unit that was replaced back in April.

J thinks the Freon ® (chlorofluorocarbons - CFCs *It's so "nice" to know the main way we keep cool is continuing to pollute our ozone*) in our AC is low, since they filled it when it was much cooler outside. Now that the temperature is in the 90's they could add more.

If I understand correctly what I was told, the unit can have more added now because Freon expands and contracts with the temperature. Think of water being ice or steam, and the molecules are moving differently. I'm not all technical with AC's and whatnot, if you couldn't tell already.

Yesterday it was hot, it felt like 99 degrees, and the inside of the house was at 83 degrees. A little bit warmer than we like it.

Is it hot when your legs sweat, and you're sitting still?

Today at 2:00 pm I did a "test". I set the thermostat to 74 degrees. So far, the lowest the temperature has gotten is 77 degrees for all of 5 minutes. The AC has only shut off once or twice. It is now 4:00 pm, the AC is still running, and it's still 78 degrees inside the house.

I'm not hot, but the AC isn't working properly that's for sure. This needs to be fixed, because we're really not going to enjoy paying our electric bill if things keep going the way they are.

This year for us has been one to replace both the heater and the air conditioner. I think it's time to move.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for a call back from the AC guys. They were supposed to have called me at 3:00 pm, but I called them instead at 3:30 pm and left a message. Go figure.

Have you had any interesting experiences with your AC or heat?

6 thoughtful comments:

Jennifer said...

uh, yeah. Right after Justin moved to Louisiana for work back in 2004, our AC went out. So, I was all by myself and dealing with the heat (luckily it was October and not July!). I stayed with the Lippincotts for a couple of days. Then, the guys who fixed it forgot to open a valve back up and we had to have the whole unit replaced later. We got our home warranty's worth that year!!

Burcham Family said...

Sorry! We lived in our house for 2 years before we got A/C so I feel your pain (although we don't live in Texas so I know it's probably worse). Hang in there!

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

We were remodeling our house and had picked out an a/c to be installed by the construction workers. And when it was time to install, we went to pick it up, and they didn't have any left. They had sold out. No more - they didn't even make it anymore. The good news? They hadn't cut the hole in the wall yet. The bad news? We have our wall framed out for an a/c that is no longer available. I still don't know what we're gonna do about that...

glee said...

Oh how terrible! I hate being hot, which is one reason I am glad I no longer live in the Lone Star State! We still get hot here, but for less time in the summer.

We had an awful time getting service until we signed a maintenance contract with an HVAC company. They check out the system prior to each season and promise to come out within 24 hours of being called.

So sorry you are having to deal with this. And it is only June! Sounds like something is very wrong! Hope you can get it resolved soon!

Love,

A.G.

mommiebear2 said...

We are pretty much having the same problems. The thermostat is set at 75 yet it is 81 degrees in here. Sux. And I wont even start with our electric bill. :(

OhTheJoys said...

Once ours broke when it was so hot... i went to bed in socks soaked in ice water.

Link Within

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin