Our little ones

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, July 17, 2009

Blankies and Stuffed Animals

I was reading this post by Danielle and it started me thinking.

Do we all have items from our childhood that we hang onto? I would venture to guess that we do. Some of them may be physical, while others are memories, thoughts, smells, sights or ideas.

I have an old blanket that I used to carry around 24/7. My mom had to cut it in two, so she could wash one part while I had the other. Oh the drama if I didn't have it with me! These days it's put away in a box of "memorabilia" of both J and my things. I remember my mom bringing it along one time they visited us. She pulled it out of her luggage, and it made me laugh. All these years she's held onto it and out of the blue she surprised me with it. [Thanks Mom!] I think that I might need to sew one piece into a pillow cover or keep it for part of a mismatched quilt. I like being able to gently use old things, so they're out where they can be seen and appreciated.

J and I both have baby blankets, stuffed animals (mostly mine), trophies (mostly J's), awards, cards, etc. Some of these things could probably be scanned and then thrown/given away to keep from taking up so much room. We wouldn't toss things of value or high importance. Items like old school papers could be preserved digitally, and then they wouldn't need to remain in storage.

What is this inner-struggle so many of us have with keeping or getting rid of items?

It doesn't always matter how old or new they are either. J and I both have cards and photographs from family members who have since left us. The words written are a tangible thing because they are inside a card or letter. It's something we can feel and look at. The memories come flooding back.

Time spent on the beach, building sand castles with family. – Birthday's past. – Spending a week in Canada on our family member's lake. – Playing cards and having a chuckle about who's counting.

Looking at that person's handwriting in the cards and notes. How it had been the same way for so many years, through our childhood and into the time when we became adults and through the first few years of our marriage.


[There was a lot of love and care put into the words on the notes.]


Something like the cards from my grandfather, RM and his very distinctive draftsman's hand lettering. It makes me smile when I see similarities to my father's and my own. Three generations with some bit of drafting background, yet each one used it in a unique way.


Then there are stuffed animals.

[Oh the stuffed animals.]


A soft, floppy blue elephant from my mother's parents. I slept with it for years, even during college. Yes, now the truth comes out. A small purple ape that we called "Grape Ape" from J, when he and I first started dating. A Classic Winnie the Pooh from good friends at my 16th birthday. A music-box teddy bear from my Uncle J (I believe) when I was born. The music soothes me whenever I hear it, and at times makes me teary-eyed. It always has. A "Cookie Monster" plush with hard plastic eyes. It was J's and I don't know it's story or memories, but I think he found it time to part ways. I have separated with some of mine as well. The others I'm holding onto for our own children. I'm sure they will gain many of their own, so perhaps it's time to go through them again and say goodbye to a few more.

On the other hand, we also have things that are priceless. Their sentimental ties mean more than any monetary value ever could.

Like the Star Sapphire ring that belonged to my grandmother A. My dad gave it to me when I graduated from college and I wore it on my wedding day. [Something blue.]








The delicate handkerchief that my Aunt Sharen gave me one Christmas. It also belonged to my grandmother A, and I pinned it to my wedding bouquet of Calla Lilies. [Something old.] When family members hold onto items, keeping children and grand children in mind it means that much more when they present them. I was so grateful to my aunt and my dad for these things that represented their mother. I hope that one day I can pass them on to my own daughter or my sister's daughter. Maybe if I have sons, they'd like to give them to their own daughters one day. I don't know.








J's grandfather T has given him an old jackknife. It belonged to J's Great Grandpa "Beans" M. – I think I have that correct. (Currently we don't have a picture of it, because it's in a safe place.) To J, this jackknife is a part of his family and their history.

The last time I was visiting my grandparents in the Dallas area, my grandma wanted me to take a couple pitchers that she's had. I don't know the stories behind them, but to me they're a little piece of my grandma B and family. Both pitchers are blue, and I'm pretty sure that's my grandma's favorite color. [wink] My mom thinks the more angular pitcher was her grandmother's (my great grandma), and that's pretty neat if you ask me.




It's not like we would forget these things, times or people in our lives. The items just seem to strengthen the memories. They're bonded together stronger than any glue ever could. The thoughts and images in our minds will remain, even when the physical items don't.

What things have you kept over time? Which have the most significance to you?

0 thoughtful comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin