Our little ones

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Things I learned from sodding our lawn

Yes I learned them, but not because I wanted to.

I realized, that while I may have upper body strength (Read: gymnastics), I don't weigh enough to take a spade shovel, step on it, jump on it, push the sharp edge towards the ground and end up slicing through a simple chunk of sod.

I. tried. many. times.

I was capable of leveling out the dirt, but that was after my sweet husband, J, sliced off the top layer of crappy weed-like grass. I had tried doing that too, but mostly just chopped it up, making a mess. I felt a bit useless.


After not being very successful in my previous attempts, I did find that I'm pretty good at laying down new sod and filling in the cracks. I can even carry a half pallet worth of sod from the porch to the deck out back. Me brag? When I can actually slice through a two inch thick piece of sod, then I'll brag.


The reason for this madness? The side part of our yard had been taken over by a mass of weeds, only to be terminated by fore mentioned husband. No, he's not heartless, it had to be done. So we were left with a huge brown spot, where the lovely green weeds had been. Then there's another area where a previous occupant of this house, must have spread Rye grass seed. We have a lovely mix of St. Augustine and Rye. Neither is bad by itself, but come on. Can you not tell the difference between a wide blade and a very, very fine blade of grass?

"The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but you still have to mow it."

So we worked yesterday evening and this evening. Tomorrow we should be finished. Oh to have a nice green carpet of grass again. Well mostly green, considering our location; then what will happen in July and August during days where the temps barely drop below three-digits.

J's so cute. While putting on a bandana he sang, "Mr. Clean, Mr. Clean!"

Here is some pointless information you'll probably never use, and you may hope to forget. Grass is the common name for the Gramineae family of plants. With more than 9,000 known species, this family is one of the largest on Earth.


Grass is important to most people. It is a major food source all over the world. Rice, corn and oats come from grass plants. Most livestock animals feed primarily on grasses. (I'm glad I don't have four stomachs, and chew cud. Moo!)


Grass is also used to make sugar, liquor, bread and plastics, among many other things. Did it just say plastics? (Yep. I haven't figured that one out yet. If you know, please tell me, how and why.)

Edited to add: It has been raining since late last night, so we may decide not to slide through the mud in an attempt to finish today.

And this: Well, J was just itching to get the yard done. While I made dinner he was laying down the last 10 or so pieces. The yard is done!

3 thoughtful comments:

mommiebear2 said...

We just had our backyard sodded or whatever its called. Luckily, our landlord hired someone to do it so we just watched. You go girl!!

yerdoingitwrong said...

I'm impressed!!!! That's a lot of work, girl. Love the pics, especially the one of the doggy.

Our condo association does it for the bargain price of $184/mo. in the way of homeowner dues. ugh. Oh well. At least I get out of the manual labor. =P

glee said...

What a lot of work! J is very sweet to do so much. You all are really enjoying your home! I think all that hard work will pay off and you'll have nice grass soon! Better to do it now than in August!

Link Within

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin