Our little ones

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Cornbread Anyone?

I think I found the best. cornbread. recipe. ever.

Whispering *Even though I've only made cornbread with a mix before.*
Shh.

Seriously.

This time I went all out and made the most fluffy, moist, and slightly sweet cornbread from scratch.

Amazing huh?

It was pretty simple, and I even remembered to take pictures.

Batter gets poured into a well seasoned iron skillet.

It looked so good, with all the cracked yellow bits of corn meal.

I divided it so I could have some mini muffins too.

You've gotta have the minis. What's better than popping a muffin or two into your mouth, without all the guilt of having a big piece?

Yes, I know. You're not supposed to open the oven while baking. I needed to get a shot of the muffins puffing up.

They're like, "helloooo I see you!"

Ding! Minis are done.

Golden yellow and steaming hot. Still much too hot to try one.

Then about 15 or so minutes later... ta da!

The pan of crispy edged, fluffy centered, glorious cornbread comes out.

Oh noes! How did that happen?

Don't look at me. I'm innocent I tell you!

Oh, the cute. little. thing.

*hmm, mmvery cutemmm*

[gulp]

And so very good too!



Here is the recipe.



Sweet Corn Bread
By: Virginia Hanker
(No, I don't know her, but I'd like to thank her.)


Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 - 25 Minutes
Ready In: about 30 Minutes

Yields: 9 servings

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted


DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine the egg, sour cream, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

2. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Enjoy!



Slight recipe variations mentioned by reviewers:

Add a bit more sugar, depending on how sweet you like your cornbread.

Add 1 entire can of creamed corn to the egg, milk, butter and sour cream, but instead of using an entire cup of sour cream, cut it down to 1/4 cup. This will make the cornbread incredibly moist.

1 thoughtful comments:

Ann(ie) said...

oh yum.

I wish you were my neighbor. I'd come over with the coffee and you could supply the baked goods. :)

Link Within

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin