Our little ones

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, August 8, 2008

Eeeeeee!

That's what I sounded like Wednesday night. I couldn't help it.

J and I were getting ready for bed, and I had just finished brushing my teeth. I walked over to close a cabinet door and stepped back to the rug in front of the sink. Right as I did, I felt something underneath the arch of my foot. My BARE foot.

Of course I moved my foot, and when I looked down I couldn't help but practically jump out of my skin. There was an inch to an inch and a half long spider where my foot had been! It was brown and just sitting on one of our white bath rugs. It stood out like a sore thumb, and it seemed like it was looking back up at me to say hi, or yell cause I stepped on it. Not really of course.

[shudder]

Yes, I squealed like a little girl, all because of an arachnid. A harmless garden spider. After looking at photos (yes I made myself), I think it may have been a Southern House Spider / Southern Crevice Spider (Kukulcania hibernalis). Still harmless, but the fact that it's called a "house spider" doesn't make me like it any more than I originally did.


My first thought was, 'Where did this thing come from?' it wasn't there a second ago!

I had been standing on the same rug, washing my face, brushing my teeth and putting my earrings away on. the. same. rug. I took about two steps to reach the wall cabinet, and then two steps back to the sink. Mere seconds, and then I. step. on. a. spider! I'm thankful it didn't bite me and that I didn't squish it with my bare feet. Ick! I'm even more grateful that it wasn't poisonous.

J came in to see why I had yelled. He thought a roach had landed on my arm again. (Yes, that happened one night, and I squealed then too. So? I'm a girl.) After all the rain we've been getting, it's not uncommon for spiders and roaches to come indoors even though we have sprayed for them. The pine trees in our yard are also a contributing factor for the roaches.

[Grumble ... pine trees ... grumble.]

Anyway, J came in and saw the spider. He grabbed some toilet paper, picked it up (probably more like squashing it) and placed it into a watery grave.

I. do. not. like. spiders. End of story.

I can handle snakes and other things, but spiders (and roaches) give me the willies. Yes, I saw Arachnophobia when I was younger and I think it "helped" me out. No, I don't have an irrational fear or phobia of them, it's just that I would rather not have to deal with them. They can stay outside and do their good deed of keeping the insect population in check. I'll admire from a distance. Once they venture into my house, they will be removed. Either by putting them back outside, or unfortunately for them, extermination by squashing. Especially the fast, hairy ones, like wolf spiders or jumping spiders.

Oh lawsie they creep me out.

I decided against showing any photos of spiders, because then you'd probably all get mad and stop liking me. Then I wouldn't have any readers, and I'd be sad. Be glad I used my better judgment, because some of the photos I saw are now emblazoned on the backs of my retinas, and it will take me a while to get those images out of my head.

I think I need to watch a cartoon with fluffy bunnies and rainbows. Yes, bunnies might help. Ahh, here's a cute spider family I made for my sister's Birthday / Halloween card last year.


See? That helps. Why can't spiders just be cute and not so creepy? Especially since Halloween is like my most favorite-ist holiday ev-ar. That doesn't make sense now does it? I don't like spiders, and I don't watch scary movies, yet October 31st makes me smile. What an odd combination.

Well I'm going to get back to work now.

Things have picked back up quite a bit with my graphic design work. I am busy, and things are going well. Actually, I spoke with a new client yesterday afternoon about designing a quarterly newsletter for their company. I even need to find a "communications consultant" to help out with the content. Along with that, I'm working on a postcard for the baby sling company that I created a new identity for. That included a logo, business cards, letterhead, package design for the slings, a brochure and their web site. I also have another new client that I'm creating a package design for, as well as J's aunt who needs a business card. That's not even all of the projects I have lined up, and waiting for content or information. Wheew!

[Thank you God for all of that!]

I'll be back later. Hopefully without any more sightings of eight-legged creatures.

0 thoughtful comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin