Our little ones

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, January 14, 2011

Boredom Strikes Again

What do you do with two bored dogs that aren't your own?














If they were part of my family, I'd get them some brain stimulating toys. Perhaps a ball or device that holds pieces of kibble, and the dog has to work in order to get the food out. It's like game or a puzzle. Something to keep them busy and entertained.



Maybe if they had something like that, along with a sturdy barrier on their side of the fence things like this would cease to happen.













  
Am I seeing a pattern here?

May 12, 2010 - This was shortly after we had moved into our new home.

Welcome to the neighborhood!




January 3, 2011 (estimated) first digging offense.

Now again on January 13, 2011 with additional digging and gate wrecking added in.




It's obvious to J and I that this metal utility mesh (like chicken wire) isn't doing a thing to stop the dogs. They either bend it back to break the wood pickets or they dig under it. The landscaping rocks aren't phasing them either.













Here is the gate with an even larger hole ripped into the wood.










 

Once again our neighbor P knows about the problem and will either pay for the supplies so we can repair the gate or he'll fix it himself.










 


I know J would rather have the money for supplies so he can repair the gate correctly (the first time). P doesn't quite have the skills or patience to get it done right - which is okay because not everyone is a handyman. Since it's our fence and we'd like it to look nice, we'll handle the repairs.

This ongoing issue has been quite a challenge and teaching tool for me. I think I have really learned more about patience and grace from it. On one hand I get tired of the same thing happening over and over, and over. On the other hand, I realize that a good relationship with a neighbor is more important in the long run than getting mad, calling the cops and trying to "teach" them a lesson (which we have not done). I continue to mess up in life, yet I am forgiven over and over again. I can and will extend the same grace that I am shown, even if I might become frustrated.

I'm thankful looking at these events now, because it has allowed me to grow in my faith, maturity and ability to forgive. I'll try hard the next time they break into our yard to remember that and keep the frustration level low.

2 thoughtful comments:

Unknown said...

we used to call our dog "houdini" because there was no fence that could hold him. patience is the only way to go! God bless- kelli

Hol said...

What a cute name/nickname for a pup! I agree patience is key. It may be difficult, but it will pay off in the long run. Thanks!

Link Within

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin