1. You're carrying low, so you must be having a boy.
- I've had friends who carried low and some of them ended up having a girl. Some ended up having boys too, even if they were carrying high.
Here's what I've told people,
"You have a 50% chance of being right about that." ;o)
2. Extra weight out front means a girl, and weight around the hips and bottom indicates a boy.
- Actually small/petite women don't really have another place for the baby to grow other than out. You could have a boy or a girl and I doubt it would differ much where you carried. It greatly depends on the mother and her body at the time of pregnancy.
3. You had a lot/little morning sickness so you're having a girl/boy.
- Yes I've actually heard different variations for both. Again, it's a 50% chance the person is right.
4. You have heartburn, the baby must have a lot of hair.
- Hair or no hair, I just pray for a healthy baby.
5. Wedding Ring Test
Tie your wedding ring to a string and hold it above/in front of your belly. If it swings side to side/back and forth it means you're having a girl, if it circles you're having a boy.
- Some people actually believe this? Fact is, if you hang your ring over any object or person it is going to swing in some manner.
6. Drano Test
This (bad) idea is for women to put a tablespoon of Drano in a cup and pee into it. If the mixture turns green you are having a girl. If it turns blue you are having a boy.
- Many people believe in this tale which is completely false and dangerous.
Please do NOT attempt this. It's extremely dangerous and you could harm yourself and the baby. Just like combining bleach and ammonia, you can create toxic fumes.
7. Heart Rate
Supposedly, if the fetal heart rate is above 140 you are expecting a girl. However, if the heart rate is below 140, it is supposed to be a boy.
- There is no evidence or statistical proof to support this theory &amp;amp;amp;amp; it really makes me giggle.
Truth - The heart rate fluctuates in speed during sleep and active times for your baby, just like an adults. Depending on when you listen to your baby’s heart rate, it might be faster or slower than it was the day before, or even earlier that same day.
Where does this chart show a clear difference in the heart rate determining a boy or girl?
8. Ultrasounds Are Always Right
- This one is false.
I know of a few people who had an ultrasound, and sometimes more than one ultrasound where the doctor claims that the mother is having either a boy or a girl. The woman proceeds to buy items she needs for her little son or daughter, and when the day of delivery comes she is surprised with a baby of the opposite sex. Most of the time the ultrasound technician gets it right, but that is not always the case.
9. The Key Test
If you pick the key up by big, round (top) part of a key you are having a boy. If you pick it up by the narrow part on the bottom then you are having a girl. If it isn’t detailed enough, if you pick the key up by the middle you are having twins!
- Maybe I should try picking up keys by the middle just to prove this wrong. We've had two ultrasounds so far and both of them show only one baby. We're not having multiples.